Lighting Artist / Senior Lighting Artist
Job Title: Lighting Artist/Senior Lighting Artist (Dependant on Experience)
Location: Guildford, UK
Salary: Dependant on experience / competitive
Hours of Work: 9 am to 5.30 pm
Reports To: Lead Artist
Application Email: Contact@StellarEntertainment.Software
Stellar Entertainment is an established game development studio based in central Guildford. We bring the very best “just one more go” entertainment to gamers worldwide. Entertainment isn’t just in our name, it’s in our DNA, it’s who we are and what we do.
Having worked on a string of hits, and having won lots of awards, we know what it takes to ship quality entertainment. We are a focused, motivated, innovative team that puts game entertainment front and centre of all that we do.
We’ve all been there. Important deadline this Friday and it’s your child’s sports day. Dilemma? Not at Stellar. We understand hit games are made, not just, by a cast of seasoned Programmers, Artists & Designers but also by the support of their families. We have built a culture where you don’t need to feel torn between important family events & spending time in front of a computer screen. You go to the sports day. Every time. At Stellar we call this policy “Family First”.
Stellar Entertainment Software was founded in August 2016 and has worked with the biggest in the business. We had our first number 1 with Burnout Paradise Remastered and have been cooking up something pretty special since then.
We are a well-funded development studio with a very bright future. The studio is made up of many industry veterans with an incredible impressive softography between us.
We are based in leafy Guildford, the capital of the UK games industry.
We are looking for a Lighting Artist of all levels of experience to join our growing team at Stellar Entertainment. We have a passion for games, problem solving, learning and sharing knowledge.
We have exciting next-gen projects lined up with the aim of creating a truly AAA experience pushing the boundaries in UE4 & UE5.
As a Lighting Artist we are looking for someone with skills in some of the following areas: Real-time dynamic and baked lighting, creating skyboxes, grading, lens flares, vignette and other post fx all with an eye on image quality and performance.
We are looking for people with experience of working on published console titles with a wide knowledge of industry tools. Familiarity with art creation pipelines, asset exporting, process automation and procedural creation is essential.
You will be part of a dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible.
- Support the Art Team with their technical needs related to lighting, liaising with engineering
- Stay up to date on trends and methodologies in current and future graphics software develop early planning of lighting related processes
- Create AAA quality lighting set-ups for different situations
- Optimise lighting content for memory and performance while retaining visual quality
- Be aware of potential risks to the project and bring it to the attention of management
- Collaboration with the team to decide on the best working practices
- Be a reference for the team in relation to lighting, find and develop solutions to complex issues that arise
- Provide feedback and advise team members on the project
- Collaborate with tech art and graphics engineers on materials/shaders, shadows, anti-aliasing and other image quality issues
- Support the Art Director, Technical Director and Lead Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties
Skills And Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in creating skyboxes and volumetric clouds is a bonus
- Lighting experience in UE4 (or similar game engine)
- Experience in industry standard art tools such as required 3DS Max/Maya, Photoshop
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Working with blueprints in UE4 is a bonus
- Photography experience shooting lighting reference, HDRI/IBL as needed
- Leadership experience is a plus
- 2 years’ minimum experience in lighting or technical art and other relevant experience
- Worked on at least 1 game within the technical art discipline, preferably a AAA title
- Bachelor’s degree in art, design, technical discipline or other relevant training