Lighting Artist / Senior Lighting Artist
Job Title: Lighting Artist/Senior Lighting Artist (Dependant on Experience)
Location: Guildford, Utrecht, Remote*
Salary: Dependant on experience / competitive
Hours of Work: 9 am to 5.30 pm
Reports To: Lead Artist
Application Email: Contact@StellarEntertainment.Software
Stellar Entertainment is a video game development studio based in Guildford, Surrey at the heart of a thriving community of game developers and publishers. We are a group of ambitious, collaborative and passionate developers supported by industry veterans with a collectively diverse and impressive softography, dedicated to creating an empowering, family first working environment.
We have recently released Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered and Burnout Paradise Remastered to critical acclaim across multiple platforms.
Having worked on a string of hits, winning lots of awards, we know what it takes to ship quality entertainment. We are a focused, motivated, innovative team that puts game entertainment front and centre of all that we do.
We approach everything we do with the single-minded goal of being the best. We will take on the difficult work so that those who have a vested interest in what we create – both our partners and our players – can enjoy an unparalleled experience.
Whether it’s the creation of our games, the development of collaborations with high profile industry partners or the building of a long-term future for our studio, we have what it takes to do amazing work every day.
Making games is a team sport and we know our team performs at its best when our people can work in a culture of trust and flexibility and feel they have the freedom to take care of all the other important aspects of their lives, as well as their work.
Are you keen to discover your true potential in a well supported role that allows you to focus on what you do best?
With the level of skills you now possess you could be bringing your artistic vision to life in AAA games millions of people will see, working with inspiring, like-minded people and using the latest and best tech in the industry.
Stellar Entertainment is a group of ambitious, collaborative and passionate developers supported by industry veterans dedicated to creating an empowering, family first working environment.
We are looking for a LIGHTING ARTIST to play a lead role on a AAA level project, working on cutting edge graphics and visual effects systems to redefine industry benchmarks.
Remember that job you dreamed about when you were starting out? This is it.
We have exciting, and varied, next-gen projects lined up with the aim of creating a truly AAA experience pushing the boundaries in UE4 & UE5.
As a Lighting Artist we are looking for someone with skills in some of the following areas: Real-time dynamic and baked lighting, creating skyboxes, grading, lens flares, vignette and other post FX all with an eye on image quality and performance.
We are looking for people with experience of working on published console titles with a wide knowledge of industry tools. Familiarity with art creation pipelines, asset exporting, process automation and procedural creation is essential.
You will be part of a dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible.
Support the Art Team with their technical needs related to lighting, liaising with engineering
Stay up to date on trends and methodologies in current and future graphics software develop early planning of lighting related processes
Create AAA quality lighting set-ups for different situations
- Optimise lighting content for memory and performance while retaining visual quality
- Be aware of potential risks to the project and bring it to the attention of management
- Collaboration with the team to decide on the best working practices
- Be a reference for the team in relation to lighting, find and develop solutions to complex issues that arise
- Provide feedback and advise team members on the project
- Collaborate with tech art and graphics engineers on materials/shaders, shadows, anti-aliasing and other image quality issues
- Support the Art Director, Technical Director and Lead Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties
Skills And Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in creating skyboxes and volumetric clouds is a bonus
- Lighting experience in UE4 (or similar game engine)
- Experience in industry standard art tools such as required 3DS Max/Maya, Photoshop
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Working with blueprints in UE4 is a bonus
- Photography experience shooting lighting reference, HDRI/IBL as needed
- Leadership experience is a plus
- 5 years’ minimum experience in lighting or technical art and other relevant experience
- Worked on at least 1 game within the technical art discipline, preferably a AAA title
- Bachelor’s degree in art, design, technical discipline or other relevant training
* Means working remotely but you may be required to be on site for major project meetings at the companies discretion.